Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:49:42 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

At 09:14 PM 2/17/99 +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>> I installed a Red Hat which is considered the flagship of the Linux
>> distribution
>
>Depends on whom you ask. Personally, I'd consider Debian the "flagship".

Or maybe the "Death Star?" ;-)

>> in an empty partition (and it get two , damn it because it
>> doens't know that partitions can be sub-divided in slice for swap i.e.).
>
>Linux uses the standard PC partition model. FreeBSD treats standard
>partitions as slices and creates its own partitions within. Different
>approach, and the FreeBSD one is certainly harder to understand. (How do
>{Net,Open}BSD/i386 handle this?)

The FreeBSD approach is more like the "Extended DOS Partition" with
"logical drives" within it. The good thing about this is that since
IBM, in its wisdom, only provided for four partitions, you can have
more OSes on the disk.

>Actually, nowadays people have only vague ideas about Linux, arrive in a
>shop, and want the Linux operating system. Unix? Huh? Oh, it's Linux
>compatible? Linux has a lot of press, even in the idiot PC rags, and
>many users from the Wintel universe who pick up on it have no idea of
>the Unix universe at all.

Sad but true. People don't want to learn history; they want appliances
that can be used without thought or training.

--Brett