Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 2004 02:06:52 +0100
From:      "Jan C. Meyer" <janchris@stud.ntnu.no>
To:        felix@mayaxatl.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cardbus error after upgrade to 5.3

Greetings!

> I have a realtek 8139 cardbus ethernet card.
> Since I have upgraded to FreeBSD 5.3 it worked fine (5.0 and 5.2.1). I just
> needed to insert it.
>
> Now, I get errors when I insert the card:
> cbb alloc res fail
> cardbus0: Can't get memory for IO ports
> cbb alloc res fail
> re0: couldn't map ports/memory

[snip, horrible failure]

> Can anyone explain this error? And how can I fix it?

I can't explain it for you, but I may have a fix... my card started working
when I disabled ACPI. Press "2" in the boot menu on startup, or add the line
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
to /boot/device.hints to make it the default choice.

Your mileage may vary, but this did it for me.

Cheers,
 -Jan Christian