Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:28:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

> > I vaguely recall a freely available X print server
> > that generates postscript.
>
> That sounds like Windows (e.g. you're making GDI calls to the printer)..
> When and if that happens, give me a call, but again that is one possible
> standard.  If anything, the standard API for printing is outputting raw
> ASCII or Postscript and that is a pain in the butt!

I wrote one of these "X server" printer servers back in 89 for SCO ODT.
You define another extension call to the server that says "dump this
drawable and all children", and usually point it at the root window.
Trivial (ie: all grunt work) hack given some of the virtual server
code that exists in the current X11's contrib directory.

Personally, I would prefer POSIX printing, though I'd like to see
a queue system defined and it layered on top of that instead of
literally implementing the POSIX (Athena Palladium) print model
directly.

This would yield a bunch of API's for print and queue control that
could then be embedded in applications instead of making X (GDI-style)
calls to another server and then dumping the data to a conventional
print system.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---