Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 16:42:32 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which free Unix for an embedded system?

> Remember that topic ?? It was discussed on Usenet, but I think it is worth
> sending you this question:

I don't read Usenet.

> How reliable is FreeBSD to handle mission-critical tasks ?

How long is a piece of string?  Lots of people use it in
mission-critical applications.

> Supposing that you have a perfect application running under Free, would any
> of you guys install, for instance, FreeBSD on the Souhorney's computers ?

I presume you mean the Sojourner?  FreeBSD doesn't run on 8-bit micros.

> Or maybe, would you rely on Free a medical application to aid surgeries ?

I doubt an insurer would consider that reasonable.

> I know it may sound strange, but maybe Free can also be an *exelent*
> option for robots and other alike.

It depends a great deal on what you want to do.  We use and sell
FreeBSD into embedded applications, and it has been on the whole an
excellent choice.  I would be more inclined to say that it was
cost-effective than 100% reliable.  The 100% reliable solutions are
generally impractially expensive for most applications.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\