Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:37:53 +0200
From:      Daniel Rock <D.Rock@t-online.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl 5.8 broken in current

Hi,

perl-5.8 seems to be severely broken in current.
If I compile it with optimization enabled "make test" fails at t/op/pat,
test 640. Only with no optimization at all this test succeeded. I tried
the following options
make CPUTYPE=i386 CFLAGS=-g     => success
make CPUTYPE=i386 CFLAGS=-O2    => failure
make CPUTYPE=k6    => failure
make (default values: -mcpu=pentiumpro -O)    => failure

Also perl is painfully slow. Above test (t/op/pat) requires over 2
Minutes to complete (on my AMD K6-2/300). The same test on a Solaris/x86
Maschine (P II 450) only takes 7 seconds. gcc-3.2 on my Solaris(x86)
also has no problems compiling and testing perl-5.8 Some other tests
take even hours to complete.

I wonder what is going on inside perl?

Daniel