Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:08:36 +0800
From:      Nelson Leung <nelson4088@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad sector in journal area and the .journal device disappeared

Hi all,

I've a FreeBSD 8.2-release amd64 running with a few harddisks (3 in
UFS+journal, and 3 in zraid-3) for NAS. Yesterday I found the machine was
having problems in I/O with multiple harddisks, so I shut it down but it
failed to sync some of the harddisk.

fsck worked except for 1 UFS+journal disk( WD Green 2T, named ad16) because
the corresponding journal provider (ad16p1.journal) is not found.
dmesg shows FreeBSD failed to read during boot:
ad16: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=49<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=3907029134

Is it because there is a bad sector in the journal and FreeBSD failed to
load the journal provider?

Is there any tool to recover the journal?
In the worst case I may just mount the data without the journal (ad16p1)
and copy the data into the zpool. Do I still need to run a fsck on the data
(ad16p1) in this case for data consistency?

Any help/ suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Nelson