Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:58:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9 is now available

On 30 Oct, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> I'm pretty sure we have support for both types of bootable CD-ROMs in
> the bootstraps and the release building code on both 4.X and 5.X. Anyone
> who builds their own releases ought to be able to generate either type.
> It's not a goal of the FreeBSD Project to actually do this, but a vendor
> could do this as a value-add if they were so inclined.

The vendor would either need to sell two different distributions and
hope their customers bought the correct one, or include both flavors in
the distribution, which means including an extra CD-ROM full of mostly
duplicate stuff.  Even in the latter case, the vendor has to document
things well enough for the customer to figure out which CD to use for
the install.  The wonders of PeeCee hardware ...

It looks like the 4.x version of mkisoimages.sh only supports Emulated
El-Torito, and the EMUL_BOOT option in the 5.x release/Makefile isn't
well documented.

I wonder if it makes sense to tweak release/Makefile to allow both
flavors of ISO images to be generated in the same run as an option so
that folks who might need both (or don't know which one they might need
ahead of time) don't have to try to figure out how to build the iso.1
target twice with different options.