Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:03:14 -0500
From:      "Glenn Johnson" <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        "Doug" <Doug@gorean.org>, "Mike Steinfeld" <mike@freebsdbox.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.3-STABLE

From: Doug <Doug@gorean.org>

> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Mike Steinfeld wrote:
>
> > Well , isnt is lovely.
> >
> > I woke up this morning expecting to see 3.3-R and after building a
fresh
> > kernel i wound up with 3.3-Stable ...  which it was a great surprise
..
> > Just to let everyone know, the build was smooth as can be.
>
> -RELEASE tags specify a brief moment in time. Think of the CVS
> tree like a very long thread. Think of laying down a -RELEASE tag as
> taking an infinitely precise magic marker and marking a point on that
> thread. At that point the thread is called 3.3-RELEASE. Right after
that
> point the "name" of the thread is 3.3-STABLE (vastly oversimplified of
> course), but it's all the same thread. :)

One other special thing about the RELEASE tag is that the tree is frozen
for some period of time before a release date. At least that was my
understanding. So how would I specify the 'tag= ' field in my cvsup file
if I want to obtain FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE as opposed to STABLE?

Thanks in advance.
--
Glenn Johnson
gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov