Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:39:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Steve Kaczkowski" <operator@phreak.net>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: requesting opinions about strange 3ware problem

> Warning: this is a long message.
>
> At the end of past July, I installed a 3ware Escalade 7410 RAID
> controller with four IBM DTLA-307075 (75 GB) disks attached in RAID-5
> configuration. Everything worked fine for two months, until I installed
> the new version of the 3dm utility (I did not installed it before,
> because its previous version did not support the Escalade 7xxx series).
> Once 3dm was installed everything looked OK. However, some hours later
> (at 3:02 AM), an error was detected in one of the ports of the RAID
> unit ("drive error... check for cables or media errors". I rebooted the
> system, entered the 3ware BIOS and started a rebuild of the RAID-5
> unit, which was completed about two or three hours later. I don't
> believe on casuality, so I suspected (and I still suspect) that the 3dm
> utility "did something" that triggered the error.

... All sorts of stuff deleted ...

If I'm not mistaken *all* of the 75GXPs have problems with corruption due
to how tightly they're packing the data on the platters..

Do some searching on google or storagereview.com, I'm sure you'll find a
whole bunch of info..

And of course IBM doesn't care to admit to anything

Regards,

--
Steve Kaczkowski
operator@phreak.net