Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:17:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        coredump@nervosa.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

> > At which there should have been NO PCI, it should have gone EISA ->
> > EISA2, with speedup's on the EISA2 bus like they were with PCI. This way
>
> Yep.  The EISA consortium, as Paul Vixie likes to say, rolled over
> without a fight to PCI and this was a Damn Shame.  One more iteration
> on EISA and we'd have gotten a bus that worked AND had a reasonably
> robust connector.  Feh.

EISA would have had to have changed significantly, and a lot of cards
would have become useless as a result.

Specifically, the per slot memory area was not fixed and not determinable
without a real mode BIOS call.

The other problem with EISA is that it was still possible to plug ISA
cards in at all.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---