Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:08:58 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

> In what situations would you need an external antenna?  Would I need one
> if the Garmin was put into a room on the 15th floor of a 30 floor building
> in the middle of the floor farthest away from all windows?

As a general rule, you want your antenna to have an unobstructed view
of most of the sky.

Anything more substantial than paper counts as "obstructed".  In your
case, I would be putting the entire GPS unit on the roof, and using an
RS232-fibre-RS232 arrangement to bring the NMEA data back down to your
system.

If fibre isn't available, you can do it with a single telco pair as
long as you put suitable isolation and lightning suppression on it;
even a nearby strike will induce a godawful spike in a 15-storey cable.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\