Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:55:19 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/newfs newfs.8 newfs.c

[ Cc: list trimmed]

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:47:04PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> There is a substantial amount of drives out there stil that are < 1GB.
> Also, consider floppy && SANdisk types of devices.
>

> > > Like 8k/1k for <1GB and 16k/2k for >1GB ? Can be done I think. I'll have a
> > > look at that but bde has probably already written that patch years ago :-)
> >
> > is this 1GB limit really accurate ?
> > do you know any todays drives lower than 4GB ?

Also note that the limit discussed is for *filesystem* size. Not drive
size. Even if the disk itself might be quite large it is not unusual
that some of the filesystems on the disk are fairly small.
(For example  '/' '/var' and '/tmp' are often separate
filesystems smaller than 1 GB.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson