Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:38:13 +0100
From:      ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de
To:        "        -         (052)scsi(a)FreeBSD.ORG" <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FBSD 2.2.8: parts recommendation for fast 1 scsi channel sys

Hi !

I need some recommendation for a fast FreeBSD 2.2.8 system, that is needed
as an archive for router and switch data. But it*%s a small case machine, that
will
be located in an office, so temperature shouldn*%t get too high.

I think of a PII/450 MHz system with 128 or 256 MB RAM, since fireing up about
60 or 100 Jobs in parallel at a given time, to get all router data we need,
needs
much memory. Performance figures are read via WWW Interface.

Since this machine is an interim solution, that possibly doesn*%t go into the
server
room, the case will be a Desktop or small/middle tower.

I need the following devices on 1 SCSI bus (preferred)
 CD-ROM
 TAPE (Sony DDS3 12/24 GB)
 1 Harddisk (9 or 18 GByte)

Best would be wide scsi, then I could choose the Seagate ST118273W (Wide SCSI,
18 GB, 7200 U/Min),
But I doubt that it*%s easy for me then, to get CD-Rom and DDS3 in wide scsi
and mixing narrow
and wide depends on Wide/narrow connectors, that might cause trouble, or ?!

So I thought about this:
 24/32 Speed CD-ROM, Narrow
 Sony SDT-S9000 12/24 GB, Narrow
 Barracuda ST118273N, Narrow
 AHA2940U

What do you think of this ? Other recommendations ?!

BTW, is the AHA 2940U2 supported in FreeBSD 2.2.7 / 2.2.8 ?

Would it be possible, to mix an U2W harddisk with narrow scsi devices like
DDS3 tape and CD-ROM ???

Do you know DDS3 tapes 12/24 GB and 24 speed or higher CD-ROM*%s in wide SCSI
technology ?

Then I could use wide scsi and an 2940UW !

 Andreas ///