Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:37:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Glenn Trewitt <glenn@trewitt.org>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: smbd sucking 100% CPU

I have about 3000 read/write users on that server.  About 30 shares
(besides homes) and (too) many faculty barking at me when their stuff
doesn't work as they expect it, too.  (Mind you, if the program is working
correctly, but it violates their expectations, they bark and bark and
bark...)

Apparently 3.0a17 no longer uses the:

# smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -d MYPDC

syntax of generating a MACHINE.SID (this is a Win2k Domain) --and I may
have the -j -d stuff backwards, there, I don't have the docs in front of
me at the moment: but it uses a sparingly documented (from my
under-the-gun perspective) "net join" command.

I was very glad to find out that 3.0a17 respected the 2.24 MACHINE.SID and
let all my shares flawlessly Samba on down the road.

I LOVE the new features of Samba 2.2.x-->Samba3.x, but sometimes I long
for the old, featureless (but bulletproof) days of Samba 2.0.7.

Having said that, I truly believe that Samba 3.x is the coolest thing
since 2.0.7 sliced bread.  Now, if only I had an AFS client that worked...
:-)

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT