Date:      14 Aug 1996 10:17:33 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>, philip_milne@il.us.swissbank.com (Philip Milne), hackers@freebsd.org, armando_ferreira@il.us.swissbank.com, charlie_conklin@il.us.swissbank.com
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:

> > > tar -cvf /dev/rfd0a /
> >
> > This has utterly trashed your boot device (and / lies there.)  I seriuosly
> > doubt that you can do anything but reinstall.
>
> Probably the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons.

Ehh, either I'm missing something really stupid or everyone else is :-)

tar -cvf /dev/rfd0a /

is going to backup the / partition onto a floppy, what's wrong with
that? About the worst that could happen is that rfd0a doesn't exist
and you create a tar archive, at which point tar will say something
like "/usr/bin/tar: /dev/rfd0 is the archive; not dumped" or you fill
a floppy (doesn't gnu tar prompt for new floppies anyway).

I certainly wouldn't expect this command to trash my / partition.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155