Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:53:07 -0300 (ADT)
From:      User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What sort of market does FreeBSD provide ... ?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Darren wrote:

> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>> Why not make it part of the installer?
>> Present a screen at the end of the installation that briefly
>> explains the idea, and then let the user chose to view the
>> information about to be sent, refuse to send it or simply accept to
>> send it. This of course requires the machine to be connected during
>> the install, which is not a problem during ftp-installs but might be
>> a problem for users installing from cd.
>
> Or, currently, any machine with a wireless NIC, since sysinstall does not
> handle ifconfig wireless settings well or wpa_supplicant settings at all.
> One of the most common family of cards, the Intel PROWireless series,
> requires a firmware blob that AFAIK can't be legally packaged with the CD.

the other problem with this is that its a one time only thing ... it says
"Joe User installed FreeBSD", it doesn't say "Joe User Installed FreeBSD,
didn't like it so stop'd running it and switched to something else" ...

The thing with the uptime projects is that they update the server
periodically, to say "I'm still here, and I'm still running FreeBSD" ...
we shouldn't be looking at "who *ran* FreeBSD", we should be looking
at/for "who *is running* FreeBSD" ...

----