Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 23:06:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NYC highschool server...

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> A principal at a NY city high school is about to give me the go ahead to
> replace thier Novell system with a FreeBSD system.

Way Cool.  We use Novell and FreeBSD together, and I have had More
problems with Novell than I ever had with FreeBSD.

> I have several questions about legality and actual setup...
>
> First off, is this legal?  (I'm doing the setup for free and i'm sure it
> is, but i don't want to jepordize anyone's job here...)

I hope so, I use it here at a Community College...

> I have a stable system as of a month or so ago, is there anyway to just
> mirror my workstation without removing the harddrives as part of the
> install?
Since you are mirroring a running system, you could user 'rdist' from the
ports collection.  it is a tool to mirror another FreeBSD machine.  We use
it to mirror hard drives on the same machine.  The scripts to make it run
are fairly simple.  If you install the boot code to the disk with the
install utility, the disk should boot up as an exact duplicate of the
machine you are mirroring.

> btw, this could be a cool installation feature, as having to install _then_
> cvsup _then_ make world is not cool :)
> is there anyway to do this via the fixit floppie?

Maybe a fixit floppy with rdist on it, that you could insert in a target
machine, boot, fdisk, disklabel, mount, newfs and then use rdist to copy
over the machine you want to mirror.  It could be handy.

BTW I'd like to know how to make a blank FBSD boot disk.  One I could put
such things on.

 > are there any major fixes i should be aware of since 11/20?
>
> is there any info on the splash screen util that i saw brought up recently?

Is this splash screen stuff going to become part of the next -RELEASE?
(it would be real cool mike.)
> Thanks,
> -Alfred

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Analyst I  (509)-762-6341
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/