Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 15:19:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

> Dont do something assinign like that, as I said in another message I already
> one-way gateway into newsgroups here at MSU, and its entirely to useful.  I can
> actually read and track ALL of the damn lists with no problem.  Users still are
> forced to email to the list to get posts in, so we cut way down on any garbage
> noise.  A boiler plate is stuck on the end of each message explaining that a
> post here wont do any good.
>
> I've also named the groups lists.freebsd.* so its very apparent whats what.

You missed the whole point.

NOBODY is discussing Usenet.

I am suggesting the use of a transport mechanism for communications between
regional mail hubs.  I have a transport mechanism which provides redundancy
and fault tolerance in a distributed environment.  We can use it to allow
the mail hubs to pass their messages back and forth in a reliable fashion.

It just happens to be the netnews mechanism.

Use of the netnews mechanism to provide internodal communications does not
imply a "one way gateway into newsgroups" or any other such stuff.  All of
which is totally independent of the point I am trying to make and apparently
flew right over everybody's head.

I want to move data from Point A to Point B.  I choose to use pre-existing
tools and technology, much the way Hesiod is piggybacked on DNS, and decide
to encode and encapsulate my data within a standard netnews posting.  I post
the article.  Since it is encoded (uuencoded, perhaps), nobody can make
sense of it.  It is in a "private" hierarchy, anyways.  Because I've
set up a few high speed nntplinks, I can "flood" my little
mini-news-transport system fairly quickly (maybe 3 or 4 hops from the US to
Moscow), and rapidly transmit messages around the globe.  Each regional mail
hub then snags these messages and redistributes them to the regional members
of the list.

This has nothing, nada, no connection with Usenet - other than the fact that
it is probably piggybacked on top of a small number of existing Usenet
spools, since that's probably more convenient to do.

... Joe