Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:41:48 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        wsanchez@apple.com
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>, Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

> |     While it is certainly true that a person could eventually get
> physical
> |     access into the machine, it is a significantly more difficult
> task and
> |     therefore a significant distinction still exists between the
> data stored
> |     on the hard drive and stored in, say, a floppy.
>
>   This is becoming less and less true.  One of the driving reasons
> why we're trying to work out this issue is FireWire.  At some point,
> you might expect a computer that uses FireWire for both the internal
> and external drives, and the kernel isn't necessarily going to be
> able to know what's "locked inside" the computer vs what's outside
> the computer; it's (possibly) all one big hot-swappable bus.  Your
> root device could certainly live outside the box.  Distinguishing
> "easily removeable" isn't the way to go here.

As I pointed out, the distinction is one of intent on the part of
the admin.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"