Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 00:43:49 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, greg@uswest.net, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: Another data point in the daily panics...

Mikael Karpberg stands accused of saying:

> I read some mail someone showed me, not long ago... I think it was from
> the NetBSD lists... Some guy stating (in some argument with a Linux hacker)
> that "Your machine is probably idle while you read this", upon which the
> Linux hacker said "No, it's not. I fire up 40 creashmes in init".
>
> I'd say that linux hacker is boooored ;-)

To quote the common vernacular, I'd say the aforementioned Linuxer is a
lyin' sack o' shit.

If 'crashme' really rings your bell, search the mailing list archives
for it; there have been sever lengthy 'crashme' sagas with the usual
net result that the people with properly-configured systems usually got
bored of waiting for the system to page them in and killed them all
off.

> Then again, I know a friends 2.1.5 machine rebooted after running 30
> seconds of "crashme".

Sounds inconsistent with -stable as I know it.  I'd be worrying about
hardware before pointing the finger at FreeBSD.

> Firing up _40_ at boot time, just for kicks,
> must mean he can get a lot more out of Linux's vm/fs system then we can
> get out of FreeBSD's, when it comes to stablilty. If you want to stress

Is this a troll or something?  Or are you genuinely naiive?  For all
Terry's (valid) complaints, the FreeBSD vm/fs system brooks no
comparison of that order.

> Anyone tried to fire up 40 crashmes and wait? Should produce nice output
> for debugging a stressed system, no?

Care to send me a copy of the aforementioned 'crashme', and I'll bore
you with the results.  I can even swap in some marginal memory and
repeat the process to see if I can reproduce your friend's
observations 8)