Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:54:41 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Bob Van Valzah" <Bob@Talarian.Com>, "pW" <packetwhore@stargate.net>
Subject:   RE: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

More marketing FUD.  Most networking equipment today runs from
flash rom code and if IPv6 ever becomes seriously used then those
manufacturers are going to release code updates mighty quick.

>Yes, I certainly would.  That's a business asset, and a quite valuable
>one.

If they have the last open large block on the Internet and they are
not using it, and they are percieved as just hanging onto it because
they might do something with it in the future, they are going to suffer
immense PR damage.  Plus that, what your missing is that if they continue
to hold onto it, and not give it up, then it forces a move to IPv6 - and
once IPv6 is implemented, then the large block becomes completely worthless.

It's only an asset if they are using it to generate revenue with, such as
if they were going to use it to open a new ISP.  Otherwise, it's a
liability,
and a monsterous one at that.

I have a portable class C that I'm not using at the moment because
>my ISP, dunderheads that they are, charge 4x the price of the connection
>to route a class C.  If anyone wants to buy this lovely address, bidding
>starts at $50,000.  ;^)

I would guess that if you haven't maintained that number in the BGP routing
tables, that you will find it very difficult to get it back in now.  It's
probably
worthless unless it can be aggregated with adjacent subnets to make a
decently
sized supernet.  DO you know who the owners are of the adjacent subnets?