Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:21:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john goerzen <jgoerzen@cs.twsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ideas on FreeBSD

NOTE: please CC a copy of replie to me via e-mail (jgoerzen@cs.twsu.edu or
jgoerzen@complete.org) as I am no longer subscribed to this list.

Let me give a bit of background info first.  I have been using FreeBSD on
my computer since last November, when I switched to it from OS/2.  I had
really enjoyed the OS, but there was one problem, and it seemed to get
bigger as I went along: there was no good way to run DOS programs except
by actually booting DOS.  Put another way, there was no decent DOS
emulation in FreeBSD.

I am the first to agree that there is a lot of quality Unix software out
there.  But the fact is that there are some DOS programs that just don't
have Unix equivolents, and this is what has caused me to turn to Linux.
A few weeks ago, I put Debian 1.1 (Linux kernel 2.0.0) on my system.

The thing I miss most about FreeBSD is that it has very few bugs, when
compared to Linux.  (Except in the PPP area, esp. demand dialing)  Linux
has some bugs esp. with the display system.

But looking at Debian, I see a much better package system that FreeBSD
has.  It is easier to use, and has more power.  The kernel compilation
was particularly nice.  (It has a nice "dialog" type of configuration,
with online help, rather than making you generate your config file by
hand like in FreeBSD).

Also, the Debian system allows PPP install, which FreeBSD does too.  But
Debian is much more resistant to problems (I unfortunately use an ISP
that is not exactly reliable)  Debian's install program is very nice.  It
will automatically configure a lot of stuff for you, and some packages
even come with a nice script to prompt you for the info it needs to
configure it.

I have been using FreeBSD and waiting for DOS emulation to come out.  I
remember the excitement when FreeBSD was supposed to get BSDI's DOS
emulator.  And FreeBSD got it.  But what happened?  Nobody actually
ported it to FreeBSD!  It's just sitting there.  (Before somebody tells
me to "port it yourself", I have neither the expertise nor the computer
to do that)

So why am I writing this?  I am trying to provide some constructive
criticism concerning FreeBSD.  I hope that by pointing out some flaws in
FreeBSD, they can be fixed, and will benefit everyone.

I also wanted to let people know why I left the FreeBSD camp, so that
perhaps those specific problems can be fixed so others don't leave as well.

I believe that FreeBSD is a very nice operating system, probably the most
stable OS I've ever used, but, IMHO, it sacrifices too much to attain
that level.  For instance, it would seem to me that it wouldn't be too
hard to make certain things be optional in the kernel config.  If
somebody wants the most stable FreeBSD they can get, they leave some
things out.  Otherwise, they can get some other features like DOS
emulation, etc.

Best regards,
John Goerzen