Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:15:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mark Gooderum <mark@jumpweb.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install on Multia Problems

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Mark Gooderum wrote:

> I'm trying to get FreeBSD loaded on a couple of DEC Multia's.  I don't have
> a good way to get a SCSI CD-ROM hooked up so I'm trying FTP and Hard Disk
> installs.  But I'm running into a couple of different problems.
>
> First it took a bit to figure out how to boot things.  I actually had to go
> to the NetBSD web site to find some pointers on SRM (I've gotten Linux and
> NT loaded on the machines before but that uses the ARC console).
>
> The first box I'm working with has a Seagate Elite-9 (external case of
> course) with 64MB of RAM.  NT labels the disk as 8669 cyls w/a 64*32
> geometry.  If I use the whole disk in FreeBSD setup, it resets the geometry
> to 255*32 p/cyl.
>
> If I boot with the 3.1-RELEASE floppies I have a few problems:

The install floppies for 3.1-RELEASE are really broken.  Unfortunately,
there isn't a more recent 3.1-STABLE snapshot available which has the
fixed install program.  I'm hoping for some improvements to this soon.

> *	Terminal support is bizarre.
>
> *	w/ANSI, things look okay but Enter and Spacebar are reversed
> (spacebar seems to select, Enter works like TAB between fields.  I can move
> through most fields w/ CTRL-N but nothing highlights, so it's hard to tell
> where you're at.  I can get through all the screens but when I get to the
> networking setup screen for FTP media (ip addr, etc), I can't get out of the
> screen except w/ 'ESC'.  Moving to OK or Cancel neither enter or space works
> so I can't get the networking configured.
> *	w/VT100 or FreeBSD console, Enter/Space/Tab work right but other
> things are odd, formatting is crappy b/o unsupported terminal escapes, etc.
> *	CTRL-P at _any_ point in the setup kicks me all the way out of Unix
> right back to the SRM console.
>
> *	Disk Labelling/Partitioning Fails, It looks like the FreeBSD table
> gets written and maybe even the NewFS's succeed.  I get a message about
> unable to create the device node and it says /etc not updated. If I restart
> the install, the label is there with the sizes and a N(o) on NewFS but there
> is no mount points.

This is fixed in more recent versions of sysinstall.

> *	I can't get any fixit stuff to work.  The CD-ROM option prompts for
> a CD (which I don't currently have available), the Emergency Holographic
> Shell and Fixit disk options just repaint the screen (plus I don't have
> 2.88MB floppies for the fixit disk and I don't believe the Multia's have
> 2.88M floppy drives-at least they don't work if I set them to 2.88M in the
> ARC console setup).  So I can't actually set what's going on.

I have never used fixit (either on i386 or alpha) so I don't know how its
supposed to work.  It might be asking for the 'live' filesystem CD which
is i386 format in the release CD set.

> If I boot with any current snapshot floppies (tried 2/4, 2/6 and 3/6) I get
> to the prompt on terminal type and then it locks up, sort of.  No keyboard
> entry works (although NumLock and CapsLock toggle).

I don't know why that is.  Can you try a more recent 4.0 snapshot from
mirrors.rcn.com/pub/FreeBSD/alpha?

> Any pointers would be helpful.  I'm also still somewhat at a loss with the
> SRM console.  Even if I get everything loaded, how do I get SRM to load
> FreeBSD when there is a FDISK table?  I can think of a few
> possibilities...some sort of playing with the kernel on a FAT partition and
> a load command with a fat: option.?  Clobber the ARC firmware and put the
> bootstrap code in Flash? The Linux docs have interesting instructions on how
> to replace ARC with MILO in most of the Alpha's.

With SRM you can't have an FDISK table on the boot disk.  The SRM boot
process needs a pointer to the bootstrap program in the first sector and
this sits right on top of the FDISK partition table.  The disk needs to be
'dedicated'.

> As far as I can tell there is no Alpha-specific documentation anywhere other
> than what bits I scrounged out of the NetBSD web site.  Linux is way ahead
> in this department even though I prefer FreeBSD historically (returning to
> having some Unix in the shop after about a 18 month NT only hiatus).  The
> RedHat manual has a pretty good description of ARC and it's options...anyone
> know if there is anything similar floating around for SRM?

I have a manual for SRM in pdf format which I picked up from
www.digital.com somewhere.  Try searching for srmcons.pdf.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com