Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:46:02 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:38 pm, you wrote:
> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:05 pm, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:
> >>If I just do:
> >>
> >>cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile && portmanager -u
> >>
> >>Do I need portupgrade at all then?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >
> > Not for upgrading.  portsclean (a part of portsupgrade package) is
> > a nice feature of portupgrade, so is pkg_which and a few others so
> > I keep portupgrade around just the same.
> >
> > -Mike
>
> How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount of
> time as portupgrade for each run?
>
> Chris

That is a tough question here is how it tends to work for me:

First I run it everyday since I'm developing it I have to know if there
is anything changed in ports that is going to cause portmanager to
crash.  Most days it takes less than an hour, but sometimes when
just one lower level port like gettext for example is updated it may
take 24 hours to finish.  I'm using a 1ghz machine with both gnome
and kde (all together about 300 installed ports) as an example.

Here is exactly how portmanager works:

First dependent ports that are out of date are upgraded, then everything
that depends on them are upgraded.  portupgrade does not work this same
way so the time comparison is very tough to predict.

-Mike