Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:42:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        delaroca@ucla.edu
Subject:   CS 4235 (AOpen 3D Sound card) support

I'm curious about the status of support for the CS4235 (as found in the
AOpen 3D Sound Card, a fairly generic MSS sound card).  In testing them
under 3.0, I've found that audio playback works like a charm, but we're
encountering some problems with audio recording from /dev/audio.
Recording from /dev/dsp works perfectly.

We're testing it using the 'vat' from the ports collection; the
ever-so-symptom is that it plain won't record. :)  The hardware is set up
properly (as tested by recording from /dev/dsp).

The soundcard is found as:

CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSCd925 [0x25d9630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000
[0x00000000]
mss_attach <CS4235>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:0 flags 0x10
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <CS4235> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 5 drq 1
flags 0x10 on isa

Any thoughts?  (please CC: replies to me; I'm not on -multimedia).
There's a bit of an ongoing discussion about this in -multimedia; see:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=14567+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-multimedia/19981025.freebsd-multimedia

for more information about the CS423x.

   -Dave

--