Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:33:17 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   networking Linux <--> FreeBSD

Congratulations to the FreeBSD crowd. You managed to reduce me to
a quivering mass of nerves.  After looking through the massive
( lack ) of documentation :-(   , I have to do the one thing
all grown men hate to do the most. Ask for help...

Here is something that should be rather simple.
Connect a Linux and FreeBSD box using TCP/IP.
I have done this with Linux <--> Linux, but,
for the life of me, I cannot talk to the BSD machine.

My /etc/hosts files are

127.0.0.1  localhost
172.16.0.10  orion.whatever.com  orion
172.16.0.20  xenu.whatever.com  xenu

my networks file is

172.16.0.0  what-net

I ifconfig 172.16.0.10 ( and .20 ) to the devices eth0 and ed1
on the 2 machines respectively.

Now on the linux box, I route add orion,
and route add what-net

I am not so clear on the BSD side of things.

There is a slight syntax differnece, and have read the man pages,
etc...

Also, could someone be so kind as to give me some info
on the /etc/sysconfig file...  How is yours set up?

A few examples could go a long way to making this the easy job I know
it to be...

All help greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,