Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 07:59:15 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        lists@tar.com (Richard Seaman, Jr)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw code

>On Tue, 27 Jun 1995 19:13:54 +0200 (MET DST) you wrote:
>
>>Currently, th ip_fw code has an option to block on packets with the
>>SYN falg set. I think this is useless as it basically blocks all tcp
>>traffic.

The ability to recognize certain packets also relates to the option to log
their occurance. If you wish to log TCP connections, that you need to
recognize the connection as distinct from the continuing traffic.

Another reason to distinguish the packets of filtering efficiency. The bulk
of the packets are a continuation of an existing connection. If you allow
the already established connections to continue, the average number of
tests per packet can be greatly reduced.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net