Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:04:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Joe O <joeo@cracktown.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another EPIA M 9000 update (was Re: More compartive  power/performanceresults (was Re: Lower power SMP boxes?))

:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     The "vga" driver works in low resolution modes.  The "vesa" driver
:>     does not work.  Via has a linux driver on their CD for X, called "via",
:>     which linux people seem to be using successfully, but I can't find
:>     sources anywhere.  I don't understand why these companies don't just
:>     include sources for their X drivers, it would make life so much easier.
:
:The do not because then people could leverage their work by
:building hardware which does not license anything from them,
:but operates compatably.  The same reason Adaptec developed
:their "HIM" layer, to prevent people from using Adaptec SCSI
:drivers with non-Adaptec hardware, and getting all the work
:they did to get the driver into the Windows base OS, for free.
:
:Basically, it's done to amortize non-recurring non-developement
:related collateral business costs.
:
:Or, if you're Diamond, it's done because you hired an EE to
:do your firmware instead of a software engineer, and a third
:party driver could cause your hardware or an external monitor
:to explode.  8-).
:
:-- Terry

    This doesn't make any sense to me.  There are a huge number of
    open-source drivers available, why would a third party want to
    "steal" the hardware layer to VIA's hardware just to emulate it?
    Why not some other hardware abstraction that is already available
    in open-source form?  From a business perspective I just don't
    see how this could possibly effect VIA's bottom line.  It isn't
    rocket science we're talking about here, it's a sodding frame
    buffer.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>