Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:28:41 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Nils Holland wrote:

> The masses can surely come to FreeBSD, but we really shouldn't trade
> flexibility and power to make our system attractive to them.

I couldn't have said it better myself. But it's odd that you said it in
the middle of your post arguing that FreeBSD should not have mass
acceptance. You err when you equate "mass acceptance" with
"point-and-click-only".

We CAN have mass acceptance while keeping all our flexibility and power.

The two things holding FreeBSD (and other Unix-like systems) back from
"mass" acceptance are installation/administration, manufacturer support,
and application base. We can't fix the latter two directly, but they
will solve themselves in time. But the first is very close to being
resolved right now!

The main problem with the installer and admin tools is that the "mass"
public perceives them as difficult. But they are not difficult. Other
than the initial kernel config screen, the installer is very straight
forward, well documented, and streamlined. It could use some polishing
on spots, but by and large it is much more usable than the Mandrake or
SuSE installers. It would be very hard to make it any easier without
taking away the flexibility.

Instead of trying to put sugar in the medicine, perhaps we should be
educating the patient that medicine tastes bad but is good for you.
Administering a system is not easy, and no matter how much GUI fluff you
throw on top of it, it will never be easy. But it is not difficult,
especially for single-user desktop systems. We should be forthright and
admit that administering FreeBSD is not easy. We don't have to win over
every single user in order to have "mass acceptance". Frankly, we don't
need those users who won't bother expending enough effort to lift their
fingers off the mouse. They may be the Microsoft target audience, and
they may represent the editorial staffs of ZDNet and C|NET, but they
aren't the majority.

That is not to say that we should shun the GUI. I think a sysinstall
module for KDE would be awesome! But we don't have to be an
all-or-nothing OS. We don't have to be a GUI-only system like what many
Linux distros are trying to be. But neither do we have to be the CLI
only system that everyone thinks we are.

David