Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:18:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        coredump@nervosa.com (invalid opcode)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

> > The other problem with EISA is that it was still possible to plug ISA
> > cards in at all.
> > 					Terry Lambert
>
> Now how the hell is that a problem?

You can not electrically determine which interrupts and address ranges
and DRQ's are used by an ISA card.

ISA cards must die for "Plug-N-Play" to ever completely work.

Maybe if the new EISA slot refused to let the card on the bus without
a configuration description, and then prevented the card from using
anything but the bus resources allowed by the description.

That type of active slot would be very expensive to implement just
to obtain the ability to run $35 cards that are too shitty to allow
you to raise the bus clock rate to 133MHz (to match your CPU) anyway.

No, ISA cards must die.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---