Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:28:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, developers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

> > If you want me to shutup and go into a corner, it might make you feel
> > better, but it certainly won't solve the real problem.
>
> I made it clear that my problem was not with the complaint itself.

No, you didn't.

> My problem with it was with the lack of technical backing or any
> real way for me to reproduce the problem.

For what it's worth, I can't reproduce it either, but that's because of
lack of resources, not ability.  I don't have the necessary
hardware/network connection to cause the weird behavior.  If I did, I'd
give you better information.

However, I don't doubt they're seeing this behavior.  They've got graphs
and what behavior I could reproduce showed that things were indeed
completely bogus.  Disabling newreno fixed *those* problems I could fix.

> to shutup and go into a corner, I want you to get off your ass and
> gather us all up some useful information so that we can solve the
> problem.

No can do, sorry.

> Lastly, if these people are intent on running Linnex, they'll spread
> however much FUD that they need to and provide as little information
> as possible in order to effect the switch.

It's not FUD.  These people aren't OS bigots, they're folks trying to
get a job done.  They could care less if the box was running WinNT, if
it got the job done.  (FWIW, the ftp client boxes are running NT and
Win2K, which *may* have something to do with it, but I don't know, since
I can't reproduce it. :()

Basically, all I'm saying is that Greg's friend results are similar to
what I'm seeing.  What's causing this is unknown.  If it was known I
wouldn't have sent any messages out, since I could have fixed it
myself.  But, I can't, so you get a message saying 'Me Too', which isn't
much help except to verify that there may be some truth to the report.
(Call it unbiased independant verification.)

Nate