Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:35:05 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 05:00:08PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 03:08:31PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> > We also reserve the right to kill anyone who attempts to bring down
> > the lawful government of the United States, either from within or
> > from outside threat.  This is not considered "murder" here, nor in
> > any other country I know of -- yours included, Eivind.

I have always been fascinated by this attitude. 200 years ago, Thomas
Jefferson, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, et al. overthrew the
"lawful government" of these British colonies. Because they won, they are
called "patriots" and "Founding Fathers". Had they lost, they would have
been executed for treason, read state sanctioned murder, and called
traitors.

     "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
     equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
     Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of
     Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted
     among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
     governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of
     these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,
     and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such
     principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall
     seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

          - Declaration of Independence

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses