Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 14:50:27 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   hanging boot

I've just seen my system appear to hang on boot
	(at a similar point a friend's machine (me@freebsd.org)
	did a couple of weeks ago)
it's a fresh install of 2.0.5 rel. on previously proven hardware,

The problem is that I scattered the ether number of my master freebsd box in
too many places on the new box while installing, & now the new box
is hanging waiting for name server etc that the old box is not running.
It's currently hanging for a few minutes on each line of
	add net default: gateway 134.98.91.21
	add net 224.0.0.0: gateway lion,
	starting routing daemons: routed
When it finally boots the whole way, I'll fix my /etc/ files

Thing is newbies may do this too, see the thing hang, & not know what the
problem is, & reset.

Perhaps after "Automatic reboot in progress"
we should on a virgin fresh release have in /etc/rc something like:
	echo "If this appears to hang, leave it for a half hour, then look
		again, in case your net config is bad & needs to time out"

Julian Stacey
Recommended <jhs@freebsd.org>,  Alternate <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>