Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:03:54 +0200
From:      Daniel Rock <D.Rock@t-online.de>
To:        Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.8 broken in current

Alex Zepeda schrieb:

>So turn off the optimizations?
>
>gcc's code optimizations are broken, and should be avoided.  If you want
>to break perl 5.6 you can do so with -O3 -march=pentiumpro (somehow I
>suspect -O2 would have the same effect).
>
>Besides, that just goes to show, it's not perl that's broken.. rather it's
>the compiler.

But why don't show the same optimization levels on another intel
platform (Solaris x86, gcc-3.2 release) no problem?
And what about the incredible runtime, regardless of optimization level
(t/op/pat.t has a running time of 110s-130s, while the same test on my
Solaris/x86 box only takes 7 seconds to complete.

Solaris (450 MHz P II):
% timex ./perl t/op/pat.t
[...]
ok 921
ok 922

real        7.41
user        5.66
sys         0.29

FreeBSD (300 MHz K6-2, unoptimized):
% /usr/bin/time ./perl t/op/pat.t
[...]
ok 921
ok 922
      211,42 real       115,96 user        29,67 sys

FreeBSD (-mcpu=pentiumpro -O):
[...]
ok 639
time: command terminated abnormally
      204,05 real       111,23 user        31,60 sys
segmentation fault (core dumped)

Especially the high system time worries me (25% of the runtime in the
kernel)