Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:56:02 -0600
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        jdn@acp.qiv.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

Kerby Smith wrote:

> heh, i was just kinda in awe of this conversation

Likewise. Which has inspired some thoughts. The vi discussion goes
to the very root of Unix itself. Unix exists in objective reality.
It doesn't give a hoot what people "feel" about it. If things are
set up correctly it operates perfectly. A single misplaced text
character can cause serious malfunction. Unix operates on the premis
of absolutes: You do this right (user) and I will do this in very
little time (Unix) or at the very least allow you to do other things
while I carry on. We do it wrong, Unix tells us to go fly.

Unix is a philosophy: Small is beautiful. Small programs, written by
very strong minds, working together to accomplish many things in
extraordinarily short periods of time. More strong minds discovering
new and better ways to integrate the programs, introduce new ones.

But many people, if not most these days, object very strongly to
the idea of an objective reality that does not care what we as humans
think about it. They actually believe the reality around them changes
depending upon what they feel about it. Which is why, I think, Unix is,
in a very basic way, hated. Unix _is_ the internet, for example,
but few know it and most think its winfeces. Many faced with the facts
refuse to accept them--like those who believed in "acid rain" and still
believe in the "ozone theory".

And win operates in objevtive reality itself, it just doesn't let
the user know about it: This is why it locks up, refuses to boot,
smashes other programs and requires users to reinstall it on a
routine basis. It tries to be all things to all people who do not
wish to think much. And no computer can do that.

Duke