Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 23:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Potential f77 bugs

Hackers,

I've been looking at the current implementation of the f77 wrapper
utility for the f2c+gcc combo, and I've discovered some potential bugs
with the way options are handled. (Actually, J Wunsch pointed out the
inconsistencies.)  According to the source (see gcc.c), the -onetrip
f2c option should be honored.  Thus,

%f77 -onetrip file.f

should cause DO loops to be executed at least once.  However, you end
up with an a.out file named netrip.  Other problems involve the -kr and
-krd f2c options.

%gcc -kr file.c
%gcc -krd file.c

work without reporting that the -k[] option is not valid for a C file
compilation.  The language specification for Fortran within gcc.c is quite
bogus.

Thus, I have written a new f77 wrapper utility that handles the f2c and
gcc options.  Additionally, I have written a short man page describing the
new f77 utility.  It should be noted that my f77 command does not currently
support all f2c and gcc options (many don't make sense to use).

If there is interest, I will submit a GNAT report with an 8k+ uuencode,
gzipped tar file.

--
Steve

Permission is hereby granted to forward this message in its entirety to
whomever you like unless I explicitly state that the content is confidential.