Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:34:21 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Homepage, take two.

-On [19991205 13:00], Eivind Eklund (eivind@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 10:39:02PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

[snip refs page]

>As I said on IRC: We should probably have descriptions for each URL.
>I believe one URL with a description will probably have larger impact
>than 10 URLs without descriptions.

Already added some, plus some new links with descriptions.  I am getting
there, albeit slowly, but steadily. =)

>> I already added two goals which need some review.
>
>I'm taking the freedom of quoting them here:

My webpages are BSDL'd. ;)

>* To design a clear, consistent and good clustering system or
>  foundation to make such a system possible on the three BSD's
>  present.
>
>I think this is too 'wishy-washy'.  It has very little punch.  I'll
>give a rephrase below.

Like I said, they needed review.  I wrote them in less than one minute.

>* To provide a working set of patches (or an entire source tree),
>  which can be applied to certain versions of the BSD code bases
>  released or in development, to create a working cluster node.
>
>... and I think this isn't a goal as a such, it is just something we
>will do.

*nod*  An action or result flowing from an idea/goal.

cluster@freebsd.org list will be the focus of that discussion I gather?

>2. Make it easy to set up BSD based clusters.
>
>3. Make it common to set up BSD based clusters.
>
>4. Make it natural to think of BSD when you want to set up a cluster.
>
>5. Make it natural to think of BSD when you want to do research on
>   clusters.
>
>6. Make clusters a natural part of the 'toolchest' for BSD users.
>
>7. Make clusters a part of the focus of the BSD developers.

Some things come to mind, I agree on the main, overall goal and with the
(now) 7 goals emerging from that main goal to prepare the task at hand
into sizeable chunks to realise.

>I'll get back to more refined tasks shortly.

Please do.  I stress that documentation should be a goal in itself.  Or
at least a subgoal of the above goals.

[snip]

>We need to have enough text that people
>1) Understand what clusters are
>2) Understand what high availability is (at least to a degree)
>3) Understand why they would want clusters
>4) Understand where there are 'leverage points' where they can
>   contribute to make a maximal difference
>5) Understand why the route chosen forward (which we need to choose,
>   at least to a degree) has been chosen

I think I can manage some initial text on 1 and 2, drawing from the
texts already online.

Other people's opinions/ideas?

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...