Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:06:55 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslog and ntpdate

Dave Babler wrote:

> I'm cleaning up my act, security-wise, here. Once upon a time, I logged
> in to the console as root and left the session logged in as a 'console
> log'. This is a secure office, so that was reasonably safe... but bad
> form, of course. I then then cleaned up my act and changed syslog.conf so
> that the items of interest get logged directly to the console and all is
> well. Or almost. Oddly, I can no longer get info reports from ntpdate
> (run with cron every 2 hours), though I used to. My syslog.conf is now:
>
> ---- /etc/syslog.conf
> *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
> *.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit     /var/log/messages
> mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
> lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
> cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
> *.err                                           root
> *.notice;auth.debug                             root
> *.alert                                         root
> *.emerg                                         *
> *.notice;*.alert;auth.debug;*.alert             /dev/console
> ----

xntpd logs most of it's stuff to daemon.info plus some warnings with
daemon.warning (none of which get logged according to your above
syslog.conf).

> so I -assumed- that the console should get all the log messages that root
> used to (except for .err messages)... but the time adjustments don't show.
> I also tried adding:
>
>         !ntpdate.*  /dev/console

If you want to use the above, I believe that you have to break it into
two lines:

!ntpdate
*.*              /dev/console

--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798