Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 07:46:55 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, lakes!rivers
Subject:   Recap of sio weirdness, where to go from here...

Ok - just so everyone is one the same wavelength, I'd like to summarize
what I'm hearing from several people regarding sio problems and figure
out where to go from here.

Mike Smith has made several good points - notably that most "modern"
16550s, are, in fact, not 16550s - but some clone chip.  That could
be the situation in my P75 laptop (actually, kinda likely since it
is a laptop...)  However, the 386 and 486 I have which demonstrate
the problem have *actual* 16550s in them.  I know because I replaced
the 8250s in the serial cards myself...

[My point being that while it's certainly possible I have faulty hardware
on one machine; the likelyhood of that decreases when you consider that
I can reproduce this symptom on two other, disparit, machines...]

Mike also wonders if I'm the only one experiencing the lock-up problem.
I believe if you'll scan the logs, you'll find that helg@tav.kiev.ua
reported almost exactly the same problem about two months ago (with 2.1R.)

Mike then asks about how current I am - I've just completed the 2.1.5
install on the P75 laptop.  It still displays the silo overflow problem.

Craig Harding and Brian Handy have echoed my experience, that these
problems didn't seem to exist in 2.0.5 (the lock-up problem in particular.)
It appears to be something that happened with 2.1.  [I did report
that I began seeing these problems shortly after 2.1 was installed.
Bruce and several others have made several fixs that made things
much better... (at least, I don't have to reboot now to regain
control over the sio driver)]

So, if nothing else, I would say we have strong anectodotal evidence
of something being amiss.

I don't want to spend time examining the issue at 2.1 - I'm hoping
the lock-up problems will have been solved by something else
(maybe another missing spl0() in some driver...)  My current plan
is to proceed with the upgrade to 2.1.5 and report my findings.
If I still continue to get the lock-up problems, I'll let everyone
know.

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. Bruce - if you want to chime in here with your usual wonderful
     evaluation and suggested fix, feel free :-)  Usually by the
     time I get around to examining these types of problems, you've
     already seen it, and I get a message like "Oh, yeah,... we found
     that - do XXX and it will be repaired..."   :-)