Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Varju <alex@varju.ca>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic during boot

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Steve Kargl wrote:
> I haven't seen this type of panic before.  What type
> of memory are you using and can you change the clock
> timing for refresh?

That's an interesting question.  I just bought a new DIMM a few weeks ago,
to replace one that had gone bad.  I now have two 128M PC133 DIMMs that
were purchased about two years ago, and one 256M PC133 DIMM purchased
recently.

Going on the assumption that the new chip was causing the problem, I
removed it; the system booted correctly.  I then removed the old chips,
and left the new one in, and the system still booted correctly.  I then
put all three chips back in (with the newest chip in a different slot),
and it still won't boot.

What's strange, though, is that my kernel from August continues to work
fine.

> What options did you use to build the kernel?

I have switched back to the GENERIC kernel, with no customisations.  In
/etc/make.conf, I have set CPUTYPE=p3, although I have also tried things
without this variable defined.

Alex.