Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:17:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "'Christoph Kukulies'" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, "'invalid opcode'" <coredump@nervosa.com>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Narvi wrote:

> I don't think making a X aware Texinfo would be that hard....

Yeah, it's called GNU Emacs..  :-)  But you're missing the point:  How do
you call it from WITHIN your application in a way that makes sense?

> Display Postscript Extension? As far as I remember it's not the Server
> but hardware - you pass Postscript commands directly to the graphics
> card... Were there such things widely available for the PCs, XFree86 would
> support them, I'm pretty sure.

Bzzzt!  Wrong..  As far as I know, there ARE no video cards that support
Postscript commands directly, even for workstations.  Suns and other
commercial Unixes which use the DPS extension, take the Postscript
commands and render them to the screen using normal methods.  Now there's
nothing to stop somebody from making a Postscript clone (Ghostscript?) X
server extension, or even licensing DPS for a commercial X server for
FreeBSD, but don't be mistakenly thinking that there's some magic
workstation hardware that makes it possible!

---Jake