Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James <dominus@minos.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 09:14:58AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> > >Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:24:12 -0700
> > >From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
> >
> > >No.  The simple fact is, I don't want to right now, and don't yet see the
> > >point in doing so.  Personally, I believe this thread got heated because I
> > >basically insulted an original, holy Unix text editor....
> >
> > Uhhmmm....  :-)
> >
> > No.  vi isn't "original".  It was written (essentially) by Bill Joy,
> > while he was at UC Berkeley, as a "glass TTY" front-end for ex.
>
> Where does ed fit into this history?
> Is ed available everywhere?

I believe that ed was developed with ex.  At least concurrently and in the
same time period.

I have seen ed on every UNIX system I have used (AIX, IRIX, Linux, OSF/1,
FreeBSD, SunOS) so I am guessing that is a pretty sound yes.

vi, ed, and ex are the 3 that are almost everywhere as far as I am aware.
EMACS is spread around alot too, but may not be available in times of
crisis due to it's size.

vi, ed, and ex tend to be in /bin (or /etc) and EMACS is bigger and
usually on /usr which might not be there in a time of a crisis (IE drives
not mounted).

James