Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:49:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

On 17 Feb 1999, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it> wrote:

> > in an empty partition (and it get two , damn it because it
> > doens't know that partitions can be sub-divided in slice for swap i.e.).
>
> Linux uses the standard PC partition model. FreeBSD treats standard
> partitions as slices and creates its own partitions within. Different
> approach, and the FreeBSD one is certainly harder to understand. (How do
> {Net,Open}BSD/i386 handle this?)

I'm curious why you make this claim?  It's no more difficult to understand
than the dos users concept of an extended partition with multiple logical
drives defined within it.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)