Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 11:36:03 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: aargh! How to handle 128 ttys on a system?

On Sun, 28 May 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> and he's running on what is (to some extent) my machine I have when I'm
> at home in PERTH.. :)
> (I think it has a different motherboard)

Yep.  I actually moved the major components from my work machine into
Julian's, because I went for a nostalgia trip and with SimCity under X.
:-)

Along the way, I got rather interested... :-)   I've spent a lot of time
in the past porting stuff from the *BSD systems into SVR4 rather
than change OS's (because of the lack of drivers for various hardware in
the free OS's).   With the specialix driver basically working, that cures
_the_ major obstacle for us.

BTW: Julian:  What came over you when you partitioned that drive?
31 Meg swap space? :-)  ??  Sure makes it hard to get a crash dump of a
machine with 32M in it.  (I've since found about options "MAXMEM=31000")

> DIALIX is one of the major ISP players in Perth and Australia..
> it'd be a nice reference :)
> (You may remember that when i'm in  AUS my address is julian@dialix.oz.au)

NetBSD has done quite well for itself in this area..  There are a few
few NetBSD based providers over here that spring to mind.

> > just in case you are hanging back, not sure about this.  here is the
> > nic's data on peter  ;)
> Why would anyone be hanging back :) ?
> I'm sure he exists  (or that hologram drives pretty well)

Heh. Tell that to the owner of the porsche that I bumped into last
year... :-)

Oh, also, I restored a '-p' option to tunefs that I had been missing from
my SVR4 machines...  On Julian's drive, I see:

tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               1
tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   4 ms
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  1024
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             10%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time

I have a question:  Are these appropriate for clustering?  I remember
with SunOS, rotdelay needed to be zero and maxcontig > 1 for clustering to
kick in.  Is this still the case with FreeBSD's clustering?

Patch follows.. (It also fixes a documentation bug, -A was not in the
manpage).  Yes, I know the same info can be extracted with dumpfs, but I
think this is far more convenient than trying to find which options are
tuneable in the largeish dumpfs output.

Cheers,
-Peter

*** tunefs.old.c	Thu May 26 14:35:06 1994
--- tunefs.c	Mon May 29 10:09:20 1995
***************
*** 117,122 ****
--- 117,137 ----
  				Aflag++;
  				continue;

+ 			case 'p':
+ 				warnx("maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               %d", sblock.fs_maxcontig);
+ 				warnx("rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   %d ms", sblock.fs_rotdelay);
+ 				warnx("maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  %d", sblock.fs_maxbpg);
+ 				warnx("minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             %d%%", sblock.fs_minfree);
+ 				warnx("optimization preference: (-o)                      %s", sblock.fs_optim == FS_OPTSPACE ? "space" : "time");
+ 				if (sblock.fs_minfree >= MINFREE &&
+ 				    sblock.fs_optim == FS_OPTSPACE)
+ 					warnx(OPTWARN, "time", ">=", MINFREE);
+ 				if (sblock.fs_minfree < MINFREE &&
+ 				    sblock.fs_optim == FS_OPTTIME)
+ 					warnx(OPTWARN, "space", "<", MINFREE);
+
+ 				continue;
+
  			case 'a':
  				name = "maximum contiguous block count";
  				if (argc < 1)
***************
*** 233,238 ****
--- 248,254 ----
  	fprintf(stderr, "\t-e maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group\n");
  	fprintf(stderr, "\t-m minimum percentage of free space\n");
  	fprintf(stderr, "\t-o optimization preference (`space' or `time')\n");
+ 	fprintf(stderr, "\t-p no change - just prints current tuneable settings\n");
  	exit(2);
  }

*** tunefs.old.8	Wed Mar 15 17:10:47 1995
--- tunefs.8	Mon May 29 10:06:18 1995
***************
*** 39,48 ****
--- 39,50 ----
  .Nd tune up an existing file system
  .Sh SYNOPSIS
  .Nm tunefs
+ .Op Fl A
  .Op Fl a Ar maxcontig
  .Op Fl d Ar rotdelay
  .Op Fl e Ar maxbpg
  .Op Fl m Ar minfree
+ .Op Fl p
  .Bk -words
  .Op Fl o Ar optimize_preference
  .Ek
***************
*** 54,59 ****
--- 56,65 ----
  The parameters which are to be changed are indicated by the flags
  given below:
  .Bl -tag -width Ds
+ .It Fl A
+ The file system has several backups of the super-block.  Specifying
+ this option will cause all backups to be modified instead of only the
+ primary super-block.  This is potentially dangerous - use with caution.
  .It Fl a Ar maxcontig
  This specifies the maximum number of contiguous blocks that will
  be laid out before forcing a rotational delay (see
***************
*** 103,108 ****
--- 109,120 ----
  higher overhead for file writes.
  The kernel normally changes the preference automatically as
  the percent fragmentation changes on the file system.
+ .It Fl p
+ This option shows a summary of what the current tuneable settings
+ are on the selected file system.  More detailed information can be
+ obtained in the
+ .Xr dumpfs 8
+ manual page.
  .El