Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:58:18 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, lakes!rivers
Subject:   Re: Recap of sio weirdness, where to go from here...

> Thomas David Rivers stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Mike Smith has made several good points - notably that most "modern"
> > 16550s, are, in fact, not 16550s - but some clone chip.  That could
> > be the situation in my P75 laptop (actually, kinda likely since it
> > is a laptop...)  However, the 386 and 486 I have which demonstrate
> > the problem have *actual* 16550s in them.  I know because I replaced
> > the 8250s in the serial cards myself...
>
> Unless these parts are marked "PC16550DN" they are _not_ *actual*
> 16550's.  They may be a clone produced by another manufacturer, but as
> has also been discussed here at great length (Where's Frank D. these
> days?), this is _no_ guarantee that the part doesn't do something
> funny.

 Really good point... ummm... let's see here... boy, who ever thought
of putting computers on the floor must be....

 OK - I'm staring at the part number now... it's a PC16550CN (not DN) -
I've had it in service now for almost 5 years...  Looks like it's
the "real thing".

 [I'm only looking at the 386dx that locks up... not the other machines,
that get silo overflows, I'll get to taking one of those apart today
for a memory upgrade...]

 The total markings on the chip (well, there are two actually) are:

	8921B
	PC16550CN
	NS16550AFN
	PATENTED

> Have you tried using 'lptest' and a loopback cable to ascertain whether
> these FIFO overflows are real or imaginary?

  Nope - sounds like a good idea... "lptest"?  Are you suggesting that
as just something that can generate some data... I usually just
cat /etc/passwd :-)    I don't have a loopback cable lying around,
I'll run out and buy one today.

> > [My point being that while it's certainly possible I have faulty hardware
> > on one machine; the likelyhood of that decreases when you consider that
> > I can reproduce this symptom on two other, disparit, machines...]
>
> If you installed the same part in these machines, then the problem may well
> still be hardware-related.  Please note that I am not trying to suggest
> that the fix to your solution cannot possibly lie with a change to the
> sio driver, merely that there are a plethora of systems out there using
> the sio driver that do _not_ exhibit the problem that you are seeing.

 That would certainly seem to be the case.  I'm wondering if there
are also a lot of systems seeing the problem, with just very few
reports of it.  Also, I'd lay dollars (US ones) to donuts that the
lock-up is timing related, and is affected by the fact that the 386
in question also has a 1542B, which could be hogging the bus just
a little too long...  Maybe I can adjust the 1542B bus timings down
a little and solve this problem...

	- Dave Rivers -