Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:25:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        Patrick Calkins <pcalkins@oemsupport.com>, "Stable (stable@freebsd.org)" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT: Passing kill a pid-file

On 6 Jun 2002, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 21:55, Patrick Calkins wrote:
> > Slightly (ok, extremely) off topic - I know its simple, but I am going nuts
> > finding it...
> > how do I pass 'kill' a pid that lives in a file?? I am writing a .sh script
> > to shutdown one of my daemons, and the pid is in a file...
> > I keep thinking its something like kill -9 && cat '/bla/bla/my.pid'
>
> kill -9 `cat /bla/bla/my.pid`
>
> note that the quotes are back ticks.

	If you are not stuck on back-ticks because you've use them for 15+
years, I suggest you use the more modern $() syntax.  The above would read
as follows:

	kill -KILL $(cat /bla/bla/my.pid)

	Note that because the opening and closing markers are different,
you can nest using this syntax.  e.g.

	kill -KILL $(echo $(cat /bla/bla/my.pid))

	A silly example, but it come in handy and people often mix up
forward- and back-ticks.

	BTW, using magic numbers where there is a symbolic representation
available is old-shcool also.  Yes, SIGKILL is always 9, but some of the
other signals have numbers that change from platform to platform.

	Yes, I'm a recovering language-laywer. ;-)

cheers,

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com ]