Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:59:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I have to be able to read the proprietary data formats; that is not an
> option.  "Almost" isn't enough.

This is a good example of getting trapped.

(Do software companies create new proprietary formats for new versions to
make them incompatible with competitors?)

I don't know what data you are referring to, but for generic tasks like
word processing or spreadsheets, there are open alternatives. (Even
Microsoft authored a widely-used, open specification for "encoding
formatted text and graphics for easy transfer between applications.")

Often, you can ask for alternative formats. (It may be an inconvenience at
first, but in the long run it will all work out.)

And depending on your standing, you could insist on not using the
proprietary formats.