Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 95 13:27:33 -0500
From:      jcargill@cs.wisc.edu (Jonathan Cargille)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   forwarded questions about lkm

Anyone care to help answer this question?  I'm afraid I don't know
much using about the lkm interface, so I can't be of much help...

Thanks,

Jon

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: OCCGRP@aol.com
Subject: FreeBSD syscall/kernel questions
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 23:44:17 -0400

To the FreeBSD folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding system calls that I need help with.
 Any information you can give me would be appreciated.

1) I am trying to add a new system call and I looked at your
/usr/share/examples/lkm directory for some info.  The README indicates that
there is a load and unload makefile, but I can not find it?

2) When I try to compile a kernel module that uses the <sys/systm.h> include
file, the systm.h file references the libkern/libkern.h file, but I can not
find the libkern.h header file?

3) Can I add my own system call to the FreeBSD kernel w/o rebuilding the
kernel?  I am only familiar with the SunOS 5.x kernel, where I update the
/etc/name_to_sysnum file to add a new system call number, then modload the
new system call object module.

4) Can you recommend any good books in the area of developing code that runs
in the BSD kernel?  I am currently only working on SunOS 5.x, but I want to
develop code on the BSD platform as well. I want to implement my own systems
calls and perform a "value added" function to some existing system calls by
"front ending" the address in the sysent[] structure for the applicable call
numbers.

Thanks for any info you may have,
Joby O'Brien