Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 06:32:00 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, lakes!rivers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recap of sio weirdness, where to go from here...

> Unless these parts are marked "PC16550DN" they are _not_ *actual*
> 16550's.  They may be a clone produced by another manufacturer, but as
> has also been discussed here at great length (Where's Frank D. these
> days?), this is _no_ guarantee that the part doesn't do something
> funny.

Close, no cigar. I have about 60 in Digiboards, HUB6's, and 2-port
boards, all from National Semiconductor and all are marked "NS16550AFN"
and "NS16550AN". No _silo_ interrupts from any of them, but I changed
the FIFO_TRIGGER from FIFO_TRIGGER_14 to FIFO_TRIGGER_8 in sio.c. I
wanted more time to service the interrupt and clear the FIFO at the
expense of more interrupts. I think it works out to 8 character times
plus 1/2 bit time rather than two character times plus 1/2 bit time.

I think if they don't say "NS" and don't have the little squiggly
logo, they're clones.

I have 2 clone ports on a cheap IDE controller. They report that
they are 16550's, but they'll only do 56KB. Not quite 16550's.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good