Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:33:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports to NT (was Win32...)

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> It seems that Jake Hamby said:
> > My plan is this:  Instead of porting programs like cp, cat, mv, or vi,
> > which all have perfectly good Windows equivalents, slavishly following
> > Unix semantics, and limiting oneself to Console apps, why not port
> > programs that DON'T have good Windows equivalents, such as sed, awk,
> > tcsh, fortune, sup, CVS, and the like?  These programs should work with
>
> Just have a look  at Cygnus' NT development  kit which already most of what
> you need.

Okay, thanks for the tip..  If somebody has already done a really good
port, then I'll just point to it from my Web page rather than duplicating
the effort..  But my plan is to develop the programs under Visual C++
rather than GCC, so Cygnus' development kit might not be too appropriate
except for the console utilities (cat, cp, etc) that it contains, and as
I mentioned, I'm more interested in user-level applications and games,
that have no good Windows equivalent, rather than programmer tools that
aren't particularly applicable to VC++ or Unix utilities that don't make
a good transition to the GUI world (like the vi editor) or have perfectly
servicable DOS-type equivalents (e.g. ls == dir).

---Jake